Articulating my game rules in a clear and simple way is probably the most difficult experience of this game creation so far. I have a tendency to mash words terribly; I’m probably the world’s worst explainer-er (see what I mean?). I am using this blog post as practice at streamlining the rules so that they may fit in one single card.
About the game:
Start-Up! Is a card game that can be played with as few as four players and can include as many players as you would like (within practicality, of course). Each player takes the role of an entrepreneur, using the flashcards that the Investor draws as inspiration to create a product or start-up business venture idea. The investor chooses who to ‘invest’ their time in by granting them a large bonus in points, while each entrepreneur chooses their favourite answer from each other to grant a bonus point to.
Included with the game:
- A deck of word cards.
- 8 x 250 page notebooks
- One sand-timer that measures 30 seconds
- 200 x red “Investor” Tokens
- 500 x green “Entrepreneur” Tokens
How to play Start-Up!:
- Shuffle the deck of cards and place it in the middle of the play area. Pick the person who will go as the Investor first. Rotate as the investor clockwise around the circle at the end of each round.
- The investor will draw 3 cards from the top of the pile and lay them down for everyone to see. The investor will then flip the sand-timer to start the 30 second countdown.
- During the countdown, all other players (entrepreneurs) will take this time to come up with as many business or product ideas as possible and write them down in their notebooks.
- When the sand-timer countdown elapses, all ideas are then read aloud by each entrepreneur to the group and the investor.
- The investor will choose which idea to invest in with a red investor token (worth 5 points), which will be handed to the winning entrepreneur. The winning answer should be something the investor deems worthy of investing lots of money into!
- Each player will nominate another player’s idea for a green entrepreneur token (worth 1 point). These tokens represent points for creativity – each player may choose their favourite answer, no matter how bizarre!
- Tally the scores at the end of each round and mark them down in the scores section of your notepad. Add the 3 cards back to the bottom of the deck. If the deck reaches the beginning again, shuffle the deck to continue playing.
- Continue the game until one entrepreneur reaches 15 points (or another number pre-determined by the other players). Congratulations, winning player! You are now a billionaire (at least, in your dreams).
The Game with almost infinite play styles!
Think you can bend the rules for a different type of game? Perhaps you’d like a speed round. Using the cards as your inspiration, feel free to be as creative as you’d like!
Okay so perhaps the above needs to either be streamlined more, or I could use a card-sized folded pamphlet instead. There is potential for lots of different play styles to be enacted in future, which the prospective community may collaborate on. Unfortunately for now, I don’t think I will have the time to think up more rule-sets to include in the final dossier; as much as I’d like to!